Position: Biological Scientist I for the Soil Microbiology Lab at the UF-IFAS Southwest Florida Research and Education Center
Job No. 514177
Work type: Staff Full-time, permanent position
Description: Conducts research to support the Soil Microbiology program at the Southwest Florida Research and Education Center in Immokalee, FL. The incumbent will assist in one or more phases of the research process by performing a variety of technical duties in the laboratory, greenhouse, and field. Duties will include but are not limited to:
* Preparing, maintaining and monitoring experimental trials in the laboratory, greenhouse, and field; collecting, processing, storing and maintaining soil samples from field, greenhouse, and laboratory experiments.
* Conducting various standard and specialized microbiology and molecular biology laboratory procedures such as DNA/RNA extraction/purification/quantification, gel electrophoresis, PCR and quantitative PCR, cloning, culturing; maintaining specialized scientific- or other equipment in and outside the laboratory; preparing microbiological media and chemical solutions; maintaining written and digital laboratory notebooks, maintaining laboratory in a way that work can be accomplished safely and efficiently.
* Recording, analyzing and summarizing data and preparing graphs and tables using standard or specialized software.
* Assisting in the preparation of written reports and publications and reviewing literature pertinent to the research area as deemed appropriate by the P.I.
* Assisting with any related duties required, including purchases of supplies and services, as determined by the P.I.
Advertised Salary: 36,000 Ã¢ÂEURÂ” 40,000 annually; commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Minimum requirements: Bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related life science field.
* Knowledge of the terminology, principles and techniques used in biological research.
* Knowledge of basic principles of microbiology and/or soil sciences.
* Knowledge of agricultural production systems such as citrus and vegetables.
* Knowledge of standard laboratory practices.
* Skill in various standard laboratory procedures such as pipetting, DNA extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis, bacterial/fungal culturing, maintaining detailed records from experiments.
* Skill in various specialized laboratory practices such as quantitative PCR, next generation sequencing.
* Ability to process large numbers of samples in an adequate time frame.
* Ability to use computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and statistical analysis software such as R.
* Knowledge of principles of statistics and experimental design.
* Ability to plan and coordinate research assignments effectively.
* Ability to adhere to safe laboratory and other practices.
* Ability to work independently.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
* Ability to establish an effective working relationship with others.
* Ability to follow rules and regulations.
Additional characteristics of the position:
* Working under harsh conditions (such as high heat and humidity) outdoors or in a greenhouse for prolonged periods of time.
* Standing, walking or bending for extended periods of time
* Lifting moderately heavy objects for short periods of time.
* Occasional travel to field sites distant from the research station.
Special instructions to applicants:
Must apply through the UF website:
Apply soon! Applications close July 14, 2020
Questions – please contact:
Sarah Strauss, PhD
Assistant Professor, Soil Microbiology
University of Florida – IFAS
Soil and Water Sciences Department
Southwest Florida Research & Education Center
Immokalee, FL 34142