The Newingham Aridland Ecology Lab (http://newinghamlab.weebly.com/) is seeking a field technician to assist with aridland ecosystem research. Our lab evaluates the effects of fire, climate change, and invasive species on plant and soil properties, as well as how restoration affects ecosystem recovery. The technician will work on a variety of projects, including climate change effects on post-fire rehabilitation, wind and water erosion post-fire, and reducing fire risk with fuel treatments and restoring native habitat in the Great Basin and Mojave deserts. A large portion of the fieldwork will be in the Mojave in April-May during the potential superbloom. We work closely with universities, state, and federal agencies to address natural resource issues and land management.
Job duties include:
- Collecting plant and soil data in the field.
- Data entry and management.
- Willingness to travel to remote field sites and camp in primitive settings.
- Ability to work in varied field conditions that may involve: 1) off-road hiking up and down hills, 2) carrying loads up to 30 lbs, and 3) withstanding periods of inclement weather during all seasons.
- Education: Pursuing or attained a BS degree in biology, ecology, natural resources, geology, hydrology, or closely related field.
- Previous experience with soil and plant sampling in the field.
- Plant identification skills required; ability to identify Mojave and Great Basin plants preferred.
- Strong knowledge of field plot establishment, monitoring, and experimental design.
- Data entry and management skills in Excel and/or R.
- Experience using GPS and GIS (ArcGIS or QGIS) to locate and establish field plots preferred.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and experience operating 4WD vehicles.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a group.
Employment and Application Information
The candidate will work with the USDA Agricultural Research Service and University of Nevada, Reno, and is based in Reno, NV. The position is available April-October with a preferred start date in mid-April; possibilities exist for continued employment. Pay depends on experience and ranges $17-21/hour. Please send a resume, list of four references, unofficial transcript(s), and a letter detailing your skills, experience, and/or interest to Brian Howard (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Beth Newingham at email@example.com. Review of applications will commence immediately and remain open until the position is filled. Please contact us with any questions.