The Benioff Ocean Initiative (www.boi.ucsb.edu) at the University of California, Santa Barbara, seeks an academic coordinator to assist in the initiative’s goal of generating actionable environmental change in the oceans.
The Benioff Ocean Initiative is a new endeavor led by UCSB that aims to use marine research and marine scientists to help solve pervasive ocean problems— it’s an experimental model in innovating ways to translate university-powered research into tangible solutions to problems that affect ocean ecosystems and human communities.
The academic coordinator’s main duties will be to provide organizational support, project management, and administrative support. Incumbent will also provide considerable input in carrying out responsibilities that will include organizing scientific working groups to study ocean issues, coordinating ocean-related public outreach activities and working with contractors/service providers to carry forward projects generated by research groups.
• Manage scheduling for BOI activities. Analyze incoming scheduling requests and general public communication to determine scheduling priorities; incumbent must be able to communicate effectively and accurately across diverse organizations.
• Coordinate travel logistics for BOI activities.
• Coordinate regular meetings and data sharing between group and collaborators. Use scientific understanding of group focus areas to research potential collaborators and local stakeholders at project sites (e.g. academic groups, NGOs, government agencies, etc.). Perform research and analysis, draft correspondence, and provide short- and long-term planning support.
• Develop, create, and present budget data and reports to the Director.
• Provide relevant policy information to staff and handle multiple complex and confidential projects that
require strong administrative and organizational skills.
• Oversee supply acquisition for multiple projects, lab equipment maintenance and setup, and work with contractors and service providers as required by specific projects.
• Oversee recruitment and training of volunteers and student assistants (medium-sized lab) for multiple projects, as well as training them on methods and skills required for each project. Additionally, provide leadership and guidance to volunteers throughout project duration.
• Plan and execute events and workshops associated with BOI programming. Synthesize and present meeting and workshop results.
• Assist with BOI social media communications.
Bachelor’s degree in marine science, biology, ecology, environmental studies, or related field.
• Experience developing and managing project or programmatic budgets
• At least 1 year of administrative assistant, project coordination or related experience
• Experience in science outreach and communication
• Experience working in a science setting outside of academia (e.g. NGO, government)
The position is open to be filled immediately. The duration of the appointment is for 12 months at 100% time, reappointment is possible depending on performance and funding. Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications and experience.
Electronic applications (including a cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references) should be sent to:https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/apply/JPF01315
For primary consideration apply by October 19, 2018
Position open until filled.
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service as appropriate to this position.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.