The Maritime Aquarium – Fall Internship 2018
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for our fall internship beginning September 10th and running through December 7th. Individuals are required to complete a minimum of 22 hours per week for a minimum of 12 weeks, and the completion of an original project. These are not paid positions.
The Maritime Aquarium houses many species of fishes, invertebrates, frogs, and reptiles, from the Long Island Sound and beyond. Our aquarists work daily to provide the best husbandry for the animals in their care. From routine exhibit cleaning and feeding, to water quality testing and health examinations, our staff completes a wide variety of tasks as a part of their jobs every day.
An aquarist internship at the Maritime Aquarium is designed to be a learning experience for any college student, or recent graduate who is interested in exploring a career in aquatic animal husbandry. During the internship, individuals will learn how to maintain aquarium exhibits, prepare diets, complete water quality tests, and keep records, as well as be introduced to aquatic animal health assessments, quarantine procedures, and aquarium system design. Those who have completed an internship with the Maritime Aquarium have gone on to careers here as well as other AZA-affiliated zoos and aquariums.
If you have a love for animals, an enthusiastic attitude, and a willingness to learn, please consider applying for an internship in one of our galleries! We are offering internships specializing in Jellies, Tropical Fish and Invertebrates, Cold Water Fish and Invertebrates, Frogs and Reptiles, and Hospital and Quarantine, for a total of 5 positions.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- Some background knowledge in aquarium keeping preferred, although not required.
- Ability to lift and carry 65 pounds.
- Ability to negotiate stairs and maneuver on wet and uneven terrain.
- Demonstrates strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with both staff and guests.
- Desire to learn and demonstrate our mission: To inspire people of all ages to appreciate and protect the Long Island Sound ecosystem and the global environment.
- Demonstrate high level of enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Minimum time requirement of at least 22 hours a week over a 12 week period or more.
- Upon hire, purchase at least one aquarium uniform shirt, starting at $31.
- Must be currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from, a 2 or 4 year program studying biology, zoology, aquarium science, or a related field.
- Be dependable and punctual at all times.
- Attend educational sessions designed to increase interpretation of every day husbandry tasks.
- Complete an original project over the course of the internship.
To apply, please submit a completed application, along with a cover letter, resume, and list of references to Rachel Stein at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be found at the following link: https://www.maritimeaquarium.org/assets/2531/college_application_18.docx. Qualified applicants will be contacted via email to coordinate a skype, or in-person interview. Applicants will be selected after the interview process based upon general knowledge, experience, attitude, punctuality, and by recommendation. Although not a guarantee, it is possible for college students to receive course credit or fulfill major requirements through their experience, provided they have completed the requirements for their college or program.