Dr. Newingham’s Aridland Ecology Lab is seeking research technicians to assist with the collection and management of field data related to fire, climate change, and restoration/rehabilitation studies in the Great Basin and surrounding aridland ecosystems.
This is a great opportunity to learn about natural resource issues and land management in collaboration with universities, state, and federal agencies.
* Effects of climate change on plant invasions and reestablishing native plants after fire.
* Evaluating how grazing after fire affects plant recovery and rehabilitation.
* Effects of post-fire rehabilitation treatments on plants, biological soil crust, and soil
* Quantifying post-fire wind erosion and interactions with post-fire rehabilitation
Job duties include:
* Collecting plant and soil data in the field, sample organization, and sample processing in
* Data entry and management in Excel.
* Use of a GPS and ArcGIS.
* Willingness to travel to remote field sites and camp in primitive settings.
* Willingness and ability to work in varied field conditions that may involve: 1) off-road
hiking up and down hills, 2) carrying loads up to 30 lbs, and 3) withstanding periods of inclement weather during all seasons.
* Working with graduate students and other technicians in the lab.
* Interacting with scientists and land managers from state and federal agencies, such as
the US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Nevada Department of Wildlife, UNR, and other universities.
* Education: Pursuing or attained a BS degree in biology, ecology, natural resources,
geology, hydrology, or closely related field.
* Ability to perform repetitive tasks while maintaining accuracy and good organizational
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and with a group.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Plant identification, soil sampling and processing, proficiency in Excel and with GPS
Please send a resume, unofficial transcript, a letter detailing your skills, experience, and/or interest, as well as contact information for three references to Beth Newingham at firstname.lastname@example.org. Full-time employment May – August with possible full or part- time work into fall and beyond pending funding. Review of applications will begin April 15,
2018 and continue until positions are filled.