Job Opportunity: Wildlife Technician

How to Apply:

Interested and qualified applicants should apply using the following link:


In cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management Casper Field Office, Great Basin Institute is recruiting two (2) qualified Wildlife Technicians to join our AmeriCorps program.

=95Wildlife Technicians will work closely with senior Wildlife biologists to assist with habitat and vegetation monitoring, wildlife and T&E species surveys, vegetation treatments, andincorporating collected data into electronic databases.

=95Routine assistance with activities including: Recreation and/or interpretive programs, basic GIS analysis and cartography, livestock grazing management, mineral applications and otherresource projects.

Typically, these duties will require you to spend approximately 80 percent of you time working in the field and the remaining 20% spent analyzing data, compiling progress or finalreports with associated and established deadlines.

Compensation:=20=95Living Allowance: $5,659.20

=95AmeriCorps Education Award*: $1,527.45

=95$34/night field camping per diem (as needed)

=95$75 Weekly Housing Stipend

*AmeriCorps Education Award may be used for past, present or future education experiences, including payment of qualifying federal student loans. Loan forbearance and accrued interestpayment on qualifying student loans is also available.

Timeline:May 22, 2017 =96 August 18, 2017

Location:The position(s) is based in Casper, WY. The Casper Field Office manages 1,326,733 million acres of public land for diverse resources and uses, including National Historic Trails,hiking, livestock grazing, mineral withdraw, and oil/gas development.


=95Interest or experience in wildlife biology, ecology, botany, or other related fields;

=95Duties include:

      -Identifying  plants and animals to species residing in a sagebrush steppe ecosystem;

      -Conducting wildlife, plant and habitat surveys;

      -Field work may include coordination with contractors, members of other government agencies, members of the public and or industry representatives;

      -May be required to word independently, hike long distances, and/or work in remote locations;

      -Using GPS/GIS technology to collect, organize and display field data;=20=95Technical writing skills that communicate scientific results effectively and efficiently highly desirable;

=95Proficient in map reading and basic land navigation;=95Ability to conduct field work across rugged terrain, carrying personal and technical field equipment, and withstand inclement weather/environmental conditions (heat, cold, pollens,allergens, insects etc.);

=95Ability to follow established protocols to collect data and incorporate it into electronic databases; and

=95Ability to be self-motivated and willing to accomplish objectives independently with minimal supervision;=20=95Ability to function as part of an interdisciplinary team comprising various BLM resource specialists;=95Possess a clean, valid, state-issued driver=92s license and the ability to safely operate a 4WD vehicle on gravel or dirt roads; and

=95Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements: (1) U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status, (2) eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime orthe equivalent of two full-time education awards), (3) pass National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW) and federal criminal background checks, (4) Adhere to the rules, regulationsand code of conduct as specified in the Member Service Agreement; and (5) Will not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the Member Service Agreement.