Avian point count technicians (2) needed for a forest management research study. This study aims to understand how bird communities change as forests develop following harvest, in the Oregon Coast Range. The study is a component of a long-term research effort at Oregon State University (OSU) to understand the tradeoffs between forest management and biodiversity conservation. Technicians will receive $2100 – $2400 per month (commensurate with experience). Housing is not provided.
1. Conduct avian point count surveys in remote forest stands
2. Collect vegetation/habitat data in remote forest stands
3. Practice fastidious and detail-oriented data collection and data entry
Working Conditions/Work Schedule:
This position will require working outdoors in inclement weather (rain, cold, heat), hiking through recently harvested forest stands, and carrying gear up to 25 lbs. The point count locations are accessed by driving on dirt roads by 4WD vehicle. The technician will be working closely with the supervisor, Scott Harris, to access field site locations, but actual point count surveys will mostly be conducted alone. The technician will need to practice appropriate risk management for independent remote field work. Because we are counting birds, field days start very early and may involve work on weekends. Data entry will take place in the office following field work. Technicians will be based in Corvallis, Oregon or nearby community.
1. Physically fit, motivated, and comfortable working in a remote outdoor setting
2. Previous work experience identifying birds by sight and sound
3. Data entry experience (MS Excel), and an understanding and commitment to precise data collection and entry.
4. Adaptable to changing work schedules
5. A satisfactory driving record to be approved to drive OSU vehicles.
1. Previous work experience identifying birds by sight and sound in the Pacific Northwest
2. Familiarity with birds of the Pacific Northwest
3. A Bachelor’s degree in a biological or environmental science field.
Please send cover letter, resume, and 3 references with phone numbers and e-mail addresses to: Scott Harris,email@example.com. Questions are also welcome. Applicant review will begin on February 28, 2018 and continue until the positions are filled.
May 15, 2017 through July 20, 2017