The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park (CHOH) is seeking an Ecology Assistant position as part of the National Park Service’s Scientists in Parks program. CHOH is located along 184.5 miles of the Potomac River in Maryland along a large stretch of unfragmented, unique, and highly biodiverse riparian forested and open habitats. Included in this biodiversity are a recorded 200 state rare, threatened, and endangered plant species, which are frequently the subjects of conservation and restoration efforts. This participant will be primarily focused on identifying pollinators and collecting natural history data on critically imperiled and imperiled plant species. Duties will include conducting floral visitor observations and collections, assessing pollination efficacy of floral visitors, collecting data on floral phenology, insect pollinator identification, and seed collection to determine ovule development.
Term of Service: 12 week program: 5/15/2023- 8/4/2023 with flexible (+/- 2 week) start date
Location: Williamsport, MD
* Weekly stipend of $480
* Relocation allowance: $350
* Free shared housing provided
* Mentorship with National Park Service staff
* Multiple training and networking opportunities
* Applicants should be majoring in or have earned an undergraduate degree in ecology, biology, wildlife ecology, botany, plant ecology, or entomology.
* Strong applicants should have strong research skills with ability to digest and synthesis information quickly; an ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a small, interdisciplinary team; strong oral and written communication skills.
* Experience with plants of the mid-Atlantic/Northeast US, basic insect identification, and insect sampling methods is preferred.
* Experience working outdoors, sometimes in difficult, uneven terrain through varying weather conditions.
* The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent legal resident (green-card-holder”). Prior to starting this position, a government security background clearance will be required.
* A personal car is required to drive from housing to park headquarters. Government vehicles will be available for field work.