Turnstone Environmental Consultants, Inc.
IMMEDIATE HIRE – Northern Spotted Owl Crew Surveyor
Location: Southern & Western Oregon
Salary Range: $2500 to $3500 monthly (compensation may be salary or hourly)
Dates of Employment: Immediate start through June or August 31, 2021
Turnstone is a small, locally owned environmental consulting firm. We help our clients protect and manage shared natural resources with solutions that are practical, forward thinking, and built on a foundation of good science. We are passionate, motivated, and team-oriented professionals who all started as seasonal field technicians ourselves and now strive to be leaders in the wildlife field. Turnstone is currently seeking to fill surveyor positions based out of the Medford area & western Oregon. These are a full-time, temporary-seasonal position, with surveyor duties including, but not limited to:
* Conduct broadcast surveys for northern spotted owls; identify, record, and map locations of spotted owls and other owl and raptor species including barred owls, great horned owls, northern pygmy owls, and northern goshawks
* Conduct daytime surveys after spotted owl detections in order to locate nests and determine nesting status
* Significant job-related travel, including nighttime travel on unpaved forest roads
* Record clear, concise, and accurate field data
* Communicate clearly with crew leader, project manager, and landowners
Housing is available from April to June with extended work of July and August requiring extensive camping for positions in the Medford area. Field vehicles will be provided unless employees choose to use a personal vehicle for reimbursement. CDC recommended COVID safety guidelines will be observed. Salary range is roughly equivalent to $14-20/hour. Salary will be based on experience as position and location is outlined. Other survey locations are distributed throughout Oregon and will require significant travel. Please indicate your willingness to travel, and any limits or strong preference for general location in your cover letter.
Announcements will remain open until the position is filled.
A minimum of one year of field survey experience is required. Spotted owl experience is strongly preferred but may not be required if applicant has avian or other relevant field experience. Having a B.S. degree in wildlife biology or related field is required for crew leads. The successful applicant will possess the following characteristics:
* Strong data collection skills
* Comfortable with a schedule that may include night, day or split shifts which typically range between 9-12 hours per shift
* Flexible, detail-oriented, resourceful, and comfortable working independently or as part of a team of peers
* Integrity, quality and accuracy in adhering to scientific protocols
* Consistent record of working in a safe and efficient manner
* Good physical fitness and the ability to hike off trail in steep and/or brushy conditions, sometimes in the dark and/or in inclement weather
* Excellent field skills: orienteering, GPS, map reading skills
* Ability to operate 4WD vehicles and navigate forest roads of various conditions
* Good vision and hearing
* Comfortable using electronic (PDF) data forms and Adobe Reader
* A solid sense of humor and joy of working in an outdoor setting
Successful candidates will gain outstanding experience in field ornithology, endangered species surveys, advanced field skills, and get a chance to see what a lifelong career in environmental consulting could look like, all while working closely with a diverse team of other motivated folks in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!
To apply, please complete an application through the employment section of our website under the Northern Spotted Owl Crew Leads & Surveyors post. Emailed applications will not be accepted.
Company website: Turnstone Environmental