Job Title: Deer Habitat Research Technician
Agency: Purdue University, Department of Forestry and Natural Resources
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana
Job Category: Full-Time Temporary
Duration: May 4 ÃfÂ¢Ã’ÂEURÃ’Â” Oct 2
Last Date to Apply: Open until filled
Description: The Department of Forestry and Natural Resources has an opening for a technician to assist with fieldwork on the Integrated Deer Management Project. The Deer Project is a multiyear, statewide research effort seeking to combine information on deer populations, current deer habitat, and peopleÃfÂ¢Ã’ÂEURÃ’Â(tm)s attitudes and expectations about deer populations for improved understanding and management of deer in Indiana. The successful applicant will work with Purdue faculty, staff, and graduate students to study the impacts of deer on habitat condition in Indiana.
Technician duties include, but are not limited to, identifying woody and herbaceous plant species, performing browse surveys, tallying sapling and seedling densities along transects, and planting/ measuring growth of oak seedlings. Shared housing will be provided. Applications will be evaluated as they are received.
– Progress towards or completion of BachelorÃfÂ¢Ã’ÂEURÃ’Â(tm)s degree with coursework in Wildlife Biology, Forestry, or a related field
– Knowledge and ability to use basic wildlife research tools and equipment including compass and hand-held GPS
– Ability to accurately record scientific data
– Ability to work effectively as part of a team
– Ability to work in extreme and variable conditions (long days, inclement weather including extreme heat and rain, the presence of biting insects, and rugged terrain)
– Ability to work a flexible schedule, with potential weekend work
– Comfortable speaking to law enforcement, landowners and other stakeholders
– Valid U.S. driverÃfÂ¢Ã’ÂEURÃ’Â(tm)s license and the ability to drive University vehicles
– Experience with browse surveys
– Prior experience in identification of woody and herbaceous plant species in the Midwestern U.S.
– First Aid/CPR certification
To Apply: Send a brief cover letter (ÃfÂ¢Ã’Â?Ã’Â¤ 1 page), resume, and contact information for at least two references in a single PDF document to Patrick McGovern (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Richard Sample (email@example.com). Save the file as ÃfÂ¢Ã’ÂEURÃ’ÂoeLastname_Habitat_Tech.pdfÃfÂ¢Ã’ÂEURÃ’Â (e.g, McGovern_Habitat_Tech.pdf).
Contact Person: Patrick McGovern
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org