Battelle manages and operates the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) project, which is solely funded by the National Science Foundation. A 30+ year project dedicated to understanding how changes in climate, land use and invasive species impact ecology, the observatory’s scientists and engineers are collecting a comprehensive range of ecological data on a continental scale across 20 eco-climatic domains representing US ecosystems. Our teams use cutting-edge technology, including an airborne observation platform that captures images of regional landscapes and vegetation; mobile, relocatable, and fixed data collection sites with automated ground sensors to monitor soil and atmosphere; and trained field crews who observe and sample populations of diverse organisms and collect soil and water data. Once structures are completed, a leading edge cyberinfrastructure will calibrate, store and publish this information. The Observatory includes more than 500+ personnel and is the first of its kind designed to detect and enable forecasting of ecological change at continental scales.
Battelle is seeking Temporary Field Technicians. Open positions in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, Florida, Montana, Colorado, Washington, and Alaska.
Temporary Field Technicians perform seasonal and periodic sampling of physical, chemical and biological data at one (1)-five (5) field sites, while exercising good judgement and decision-making abilities to interpret protocol requirements. Temporary Field Technicians are assigned an area of primary responsibility within the scope of data collection: botany, entomology, mammalogy, and limnology.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
* High School Diploma. Some post high school, specialized training or technical certificate may be required.
* Knowledge of best practices for accurate and repeatable field and laboratory measurements across multiple scientific disciplines. Complex and variable systems require judgment and independent decision-making abilities
* Technical skills using best practices in field and ability to identify aquatic or terrestrial flora and fauna to genus and species.
* Applicants must have authorization to work in the United States.
* Employment is contingent on background screen, drug screen, motor vehicle records check and physical.
* Must possess a current and valid State issued driver’s license with insurable Department of Motor vehicle record (parking violations, minor driving offenses excluded) as determined by Battelle’s insurance provider.
If interested, visit: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fadtrk.tw%2Ftp%2Frj6-TgR5M.e-K&data=02%7C01%7Cmadeline.hennessey%40uconn.edu%7C55827543791d4fa129f208d7abb6ddf4%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637166674220721824&sdata=f9l1c7IZvATBxpVvTAp%2BrjhuAjn7O7ebpf1PSeJBmN8%3D&reserved=0
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law.