The Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook NY is now accepting applications for the summer 2020 REU program in “Translational Ecology”! Please share this information with students who may be interested.
Students conduct mentored research projects and have many chances to interact, give and receive feedback and support. They also participate in a rich assortment of enrichment activities, workshops and field trips around the theme of translational ecology.
To apply: https://www.caryinstitute.org/eco-inquiry/reu-program
Application deadline: January 24, 2020 Midnight
Dates: May 20 to August 7, 2020 (12 weeks)
Eligibility: Undergraduate freshmen, sophomores, juniors or first semester seniors. Must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or its possessions. Underrepresented minorities and first-generation college students are encouraged to apply.
Stipend: $6,600 stipend, plus a $900 food allowance and free on-campus housing.
Other support: Assistance is available for travel to and from the program as well.
Research projects for the summer of 2020 include:
· Examining the effects of global change on streams of the northeastern US
· The role of natural enemies in governing symbiotic nitrogen fixation
· Causes of anthropogenic nitrogen deposition and impacts on tropical forest function
· Mosquitoes and ecosystem regulation of disease risk: data visualization and analysis
· Quantifying spatial variation and ecological influences of groundwater fluxes in lakes of northern Wisconsin
· Ecological change in the Sky Lakes on the Shawangunk Ridge
· Understanding the intersection of global change, conservation, and disease risk
· Microbial processes in urban ecosystems
· Examining the impacts of road salt on groundwater used for drinking water
· Urban forest ecology in New York City
· Effect of undergraduate research experiences on career trajectories
· Ecology of urban streams / high school student mentoring
For more information about the Cary Institute, visit http://www.caryinstitute.org/
For more information about the program, contact Kevin Burgio, REU program coordinator (email@example.com).