Subject: Data manager in a Spatial Ecology lab, Univ Florida, Fort Lauderdale FL
The MabLab at the University of Florida is recruiting a Data Manager to fill an immediate opening for the position of Biological Scientist in the lab. We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly motivated and responsible individual to join an exciting research team focused on spatial ecology.
The Data Manager will be responsible for the group’s database system, and will assist with multiple projects investigating for instance animal fine-scale movement in urban areas, or migration and range dynamics in the context of climate change.
The primary mission of the Data Manager will be to manage the group’s database system: we run a PostgreSQL/PostGIS database system on a Linux server, which hosts telemetry data on wood storks, sea turtles, raccoons, and associated GIS layers. In the near future, we will be adding advanced data from albatrosses, including accelerometers and infrasound. The Data Manager will manage the database server (database design, manual and automated data entry, metadata, set permissions for users and groups, backups, development of web apps to access and display data, etc.).
Additional responsibilities will include assisting members of the group with data processing, and maintaining our open source R packages (rpostgis, rpostgisLT, hab…).
Familiarity with SQL is essential. Experience using PostgreSQL/PostGIS (or other SIG database systems) and R is a plus, as well as experience with Linux systems and database servers.
The candidate must be able to work independently and with others in a fast-paced environment, and should be comfortable working across agency boundaries (University of Florida, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S.
Geological Survey and the National Park Service, etc.), making excellent written and oral communication skills essential for this position.
* Qualifications: B.S. with experience in Data Science, Computing, GIS, Biology or a related field. Must be eligible to work in the United States.
* Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and past experience (typically $40–50k/year with benefits).
* Start Date: Flexible, as early as June 1st, 2018. This is a permanent position from the University of Florida.
* Closing Date: Review of applications will begin on May 15th, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled.
* Application: Apply on UF Jobs website (job #507275):
Applications should include:
– a cover letter with information about professional interests, qualifications, dates of availability, and current contact information;
– a resume;
– names and phone numbers of three references.
For more information, don’t hesitate to contact me!