The Duke University Marine Lab is pleased to offer full scholarships for two undergraduates ( covering tuition & fees, room & board, books, travel to Beaufort, and support for participation in a Beaufort Signature travel course to Panama during a semester of study, Fall 2017 in Beaufort North Carolina. Undergraduate scholars will enroll in Duke courses taught in Beaufort where there is emphasis on the biology and physiology of marine organisms, marine molecular biology, marine policy, and coastal socio-ecological issues. Scholars will choose their coursework from a list of fall course options: https://nicholas.duke.edu/marinelab/programs/undergraduate/fall. Students will receive a Duke University transcript at the conclusion of the semester.
Application deadline: 25 February 2017
Notification of awards will be made no later than 15 March 2017.
To be eligible, an applicant must
* be enrolled as a sophomore, junior, or senior in college in Fall 2017 (Duke students are not eligible for this scholarship)
* be a US citizen or hold a permanent resident visa
Other factors considered in the evaluation process include whether an applicant
* identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in marine science
* has demonstrated interest in marine science and its impact on society
* anticipates pursuing a PhD in the marine sciences
* submits a compelling personal statement and strong letters of recommendation
Interested students are required to submit:
* Personal essay: How has your heritage made a difference in your life? How might it resonate in your work in marine science? How will a semester at the Duke Marine Laboratory benefit your career goals?
* Two academic letters of recommendation (email to email@example.com)
* Official transcript
* Undergraduate Scholarship Application (available at the website link below)
Students on financial aid should consult with their financial aid advisor to determine how a scholarship would impact their financial aid package.
Check the website for complete application information: https://nicholas.duke.edu/marinelab/undergraduate/scholarships-marine-science