Project title: Delphinid Conservation Ecology Project
This project aims to assess dolphin population size and parameters of the 4 most commonly observed species; their social dynamics, spatial and temporal distribution, ranging patterns and ecology of mixed-species groups in Ta=F1on Strait from March 27 to August 11, 2017 to improve our understanding of island-associated dolphin populations in the Philippines.
Location: Dumaguete City, Philippines
– Assisting with boat-based photo-identification surveys of various species of dolphins, collecting environmental, location, and behavioural data of dolphin groups. Expect early starts, hot weather, up to 11 hours on the water for multiple consecutive days, and up to a week between days off.
– Data consolidation and subsequent analysis of photo-identification data on land
-Assistants are encouraged to stay for a minimum of 2 months, but those who can commit longer or the entire field season are preferred. Those who do not have any experience are highly encouraged to stay for the entire duration as it will serve to train you and improve your skills.
– Enthusiasm for field work on a boat is essential (long hours and natural environment conditions);
– Experience of working on a small boat (highly desirable but not required);
– Experience of photo-ID survey techniques (not required, but highly desirable);
– No history of debilitating seasickness (essential).
-The project is well suited (but not required) to upper level undergrads, recent grads and graduate students who have some background in Biology, Marine Biology, Ecology, Zoology or related fields.
Expenses: This is an unpaid position. Travel to/from the field site will be at their own expenses. However, basic accommodation will be covered and a small stipend will be offered primarily to those who can commit for the full season.
For inquiries and/or interested applicants, please send your inquiries or submit your CV and cover letter specifying when you could start and for how long you would like to commit to this project to email@example.com.