*Paid field assistant position for 6 weeks this late summer (August 1st to
As part of my dissertation, I am conducting surveys of plant communities
and associated measures of ecosystem function on 20 islands in Clarks Hill
Lake, a reservoir on the border of Georgia and South Carolina. The
fieldwork in August and September would consist of visiting islands,
conducting basic vegetation surveys, and collecting leaf functional traits
and soil samples. The trip will consist of the entire month of August + one
or two weeks into September (weather dependent). I will be driving from
Syracuse New York, down to Georgia, so preference will be given to those
that can meet me somewhere along the way.
*All food, lodging (car/tent camping on lake shore), and transport (after
we meet) will be covered (+ up to $3,000 stipend for 6 weeks).*
– Fit, healthy, and able to help me unload and reload the boat on my truck
– Good, friendly personality, and able to cheerfully endure harsh field
conditions (heat, rain, thorns, long days, mosquitos, slippery rocks, etc.)
– Comfortable with boat travel
– Experience tent camping/spending time outdoors
– Able to follow directions carefully and willing to take on certain
– Experience identifying plants with dichotomous keys. Knowledge of the
Southern Piedmont forest flora is a huge plus, but not required.
– Some prior experience with fieldwork, though the trip itself will be a
great opportunity for students seeking more experience doing ecology. My
goal is to make this trip into as much of a learning experience as possible
for any assistant that joins me, including the potential for creating an
independent research project.
*Dates: *August 1st through September 12th (with possibility of ending
*Stipend: *$500 per week of work (total = $2,000 to $3,000 depending on how
soon we finish).
*Please email me (email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>) your CV, a cover
letter, and contacts for at least two references as soon as possible.
Position will be filled on a rolling basis. Email me with any questions.*